Pepe LePew Super Stars DVD, Dec. 27

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, Odor Of The Day was a Pepe cartoon...just featuring a slightly different kind of Pepe since it was directed by Art Davis. And yes, Dog Pounded is not a Pepe cartoon even if he did have a cameo.

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, "Odor of the Day" is to Pepe. Just as "Catch as Cats Can" is to Sylvester.
Still suprised they included a Pepe cameo, though.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Toonatic wrote:I wish that too. But I'm not sure if that'll happen. But you're right, if we're lucky.

I doubt it. Considering that Tick Tock Tuckered and Daffy Dilly appear in BRR form in one other LT super stars DVDs (Despite the original print existence of Daffy Dilly).

But Anyways Because of this DVD,I have a feeling that were gonna get some new to DVD pre-48 cartoons released in the near future. Despite what WB said about the "only restoring post 1953 cartoons policy" in which I've never fully understood.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 am

True. But Jerry said that restoring cartoons for Blu-Ray is the good excuse for WB to release the pre-'53 shorts.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 am

Thad wrote:I would hazard a guess that the press release is simply incorrect in their inclusion of Odor of the Day and Dog Pounded, since neither are Pepe Le Pew cartoons. But that is based on nothing.

I was thinking the same thing. The "15 Classic Cartoons" on the cover is likely correct (making it consistent with the other Super Stars discs) and the list of contents is probably another case of someone from WHV copying-and-pasting from Wikipedia.

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:25 am

speedy fast wrote:I've read in another thread that although the Road Runner disc is due in october, copies have already been found at certain Wal-Mart stores (I'm checking my local store tomorrow). So I guess not.

It even got released as a different set of LT DVD's here a while ago (excluding CG shorts). check the RR SS thread.

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 pm

speedy fast wrote:Wow. This is unexpected. I never really expected a full release of almost every Pepe le Pew cartoon on a DVD (I would have expected something like the recent Foghorn Leghorn release). It seems the only cartoon starring Pepe le Pew that's left out is Heaven Scent (which was on the sixth Golden Collection so I won't complain).

Considering last year it was announced that Warner Home Video has a policy of only restoring post-1953 shorts, I guess it's great that Pepe's pre-1953 shorts are included. Actually I sort of suspected Warner changed it's mind on this policy, as the upcoming Platinum Collection will have some pre-1953 shorts that were not previously restored (unless all the cartoons on these releases are unrestored).

It has two double dips, but for this set to have almost all of the Pepe le Pew cartoons I'll let it slide (even though Pepe le Pew is one of my least favorite of the main Looney Tunes characters). Fans kept complaining about how Foghorn Leghorn was underrepresented in the Golden Collections, but I feel Pepe le Pew was a lot less represented (5 Foghorn cartoons were released compared to the 3 Pepe cartoons released). Until I saw the listing of what's included I always thought Odor of the Day came after For Scent-Immental Reasons (though I guess it makes sense, since most of the Pepe cartoons with different formats/formulas are from before For Scent-Immental Reasons).

While it is great that Warner is apparently restoring pre-1953 cartoons again, it is a shame that Warner won't restore the remaining Chuck Jones Road Runner shorts (all of which are post-1953).

5 Foghorns are a lot worse than 3 Pepes. Foghorn has a lot bigger filmography, and his cartoons have much bigger variety. Too bad, he was crappily treated in his star disc last year, all of the good ones are missing.

As for this one, I skip. I really don't care much about watching the same toon in different setting, although Odor of the Day is a wonderful (and underrated) Art Davis short, it's the obvious highlight here.
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyway, if they included Dog Pounded, and Odor of the Day, the should have inclued Fair and Worm-er too. That was a slient prototype Pele le Pew I guess. :)
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Warner apparently considered Odor of the Day to be a Pepe cartoon back in the 80's, because it was released on Pepe's Golden Jubilee VHS.

I HOPE it makes the cut. Dog Pounded would go HOPEFULLY on a Sylvester set, but where else could Odor of the Day be stuck?
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 pm

speedy fast wrote:Wow. This is unexpected. I never really expected a full release of almost every Pepe le Pew cartoon on a DVD (I would have expected something like the recent Foghorn Leghorn release). It seems the only cartoon starring Pepe le Pew that's left out is Heaven Scent (which was on the sixth Golden Collection so I won't complain).

Considering last year it was announced that Warner Home Video has a policy of only restoring post-1953 shorts, I guess it's great that Pepe's pre-1953 shorts are included. Actually I sort of suspected Warner changed it's mind on this policy, as the upcoming Platinum Collection will have some pre-1953 shorts that were not previously restored (unless all the cartoons on these releases are unrestored).

It has two double dips, but for this set to have almost all of the Pepe le Pew cartoons I'll let it slide (even though Pepe le Pew is one of my least favorite of the main Looney Tunes characters). Fans kept complaining about how Foghorn Leghorn was underrepresented in the Golden Collections, but I feel Pepe le Pew was a lot less represented (5 Foghorn cartoons were released compared to the 3 Pepe cartoons released). Until I saw the listing of what's included I always thought Odor of the Day came after For Scent-Immental Reasons (though I guess it makes sense, since most of the Pepe cartoons with different formats/formulas are from before For Scent-Immental Reasons).

While it is great that Warner is apparently restoring pre-1953 cartoons again, it is a shame that Warner won't restore the remaining Chuck Jones Road Runner shorts (all of which are post-1953).

WBHV is just being a pain for not releasing the remaining Chuck Jones Road Runner shorts.

If you all, meaning everyone besides me, want to complain about the Road Runner DVD, just send them a strong, but harsh e-mail message about the cartoon contents before the DVD gets released.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”