Pepe LePew Super Stars DVD, Dec. 27

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:58 am

speedy fast wrote:Considering last year it was announced that Warner Home Video has a policy of only restoring post-1953 shorts, I guess it's great that Pepe's pre-1953 shorts are included. Actually I sort of suspected Warner changed it's mind on this policy, as the upcoming Platinum Collection will have some pre-1953 shorts that were not previously restored (unless all the cartoons on these releases are unrestored).
Yeah, if WB stuck to its post-53 policy for this Pepe set, we'd have an exact repeat of the Foghorn set: Only part of the disc would contain Pepe cartoons, and the rest would be filled with random material. I'm glad WB seems to be allowing for more leeway here. Hopefully we see more of it.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:33 am

Leviathan wrote:Warner apparently considered Odor of the Day to be a Pepe cartoon back in the 80's, because it was released on Pepe's Golden Jubilee VHS.

All of the Golden Jubilee character spotlight tapes (except for Bugs, Daffy, and Sylvester) included one cartoon without the featured character, though in the case of Pepe le Pew's Skunk Tales, the non-Pepe cartoon was Much Ado Without Nuttin'.

Odor of the Day was also in one of the Looney Tunes Video Show tapes, and those listed who the stars of each cartoon was on the back of the box.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm seeing a lot of comments here on the specific contents of this disc when it's clear that the contents listed on the linked story may not, in fact, be the contents at all.

The cover art says 15 cartoons. The titles listed come to 17 cartoons. In those 17, it includes "Dog Pounded," which we agree is not really a Pepe cartoon. It also says that "Dog Pounded" has been previously released on DVD - which it has not.

Hence, I agree with Jon. I would not trust the contents list at all. The earlier part of the release says 15 cartoons, 14 new to DVD. By my count, there are only 13 Pepe cartoons that have never been released on DVD.

So maybe - and again this is pure speculation - the DVD will contain the 13 unreleased Pepe cartoons, "Dog Pounded," and one of the Pepe cartoons already released through the Golden Collection.

If that's true, it still would mean all of the Pepe cartoons would be available on DVD.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 pm

^Yes! This is extremely good news for me! Another great 100 restored!
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:51 pm

FleischerFan wrote:I'm seeing a lot of comments here on the specific contents of this disc when it's clear that the contents listed on the linked story may not, in fact, be the contents at all.

The cover art says 15 cartoons. The titles listed come to 17 cartoons. In those 17, it includes "Dog Pounded," which we agree is not really a Pepe cartoon. It also says that "Dog Pounded" has been previously released on DVD - which it has not.

Hence, I agree with Jon. I would not trust the contents list at all. The earlier part of the release says 15 cartoons, 14 new to DVD. By my count, there are only 13 Pepe cartoons that have never been released on DVD.

So maybe - and again this is pure speculation - the DVD will contain the 13 unreleased Pepe cartoons, "Dog Pounded," and one of the Pepe cartoons already released through the Golden Collection.

If that's true, it still would mean all of the Pepe cartoons would be available on DVD.

You forgot to mention the upcoming Sylvester DVD. They might put Dog Pounded in that one instead of the Pepe Le Pew DVD. But let's keep watch and see what the real cartoon contents would be like.

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm hoping they take out "Odor-Able" and "For Scentimental," (the double dips), and keep "Dog Pounded" and "Odor of the Day."

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:33 am

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up without knowing what it means for sure, but WHV has pulled the cover artwork from their retailer/press site...so maybe they're updating the cover so that it correctly reflects seventeen shorts?
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:34 pm

First of all I can't copy and paste the link on the forum and I don't know why so I'm sorry for forcing everyone to hunt this down themselves, but Jerry Beck posted on Cartoon Brew about this upcoming DVD, and to the best of his knowledge, and dispite the cover, there should be 17 cartoons on this DVD. Greg Method says that the Warners site took the picture down. His reasoning may be right
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Jerry Beck posted on Cartoon Brew about this upcoming DVD, and to the best of his knowledge, and dispite the cover, there should be 17 cartoons on this DVD. Greg Method says that the Warners site took the picture down. His reasoning may be right. Here's the link:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/coming-to-dvd-the-complete-pepe-le-pew.html
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 pm

They might as well call it "The Complete Pepe le Pew".

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”