"UPA Jolly Frolics" box set from Sony, early 2012

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am

That screenshot is fantatstic Jerry!

I'll be buying this set for sure!

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Leviathan wrote:No. Nobody else is except for you.

I certainly didn't make the connection first seeing this show back in the 90's on Nickelodeon's "Weinerville"

I thought the UPA shorts had already been restored for Totally Tooned In. What little we've seen from those restorations seemed more than adequate for DVD.

I thought that too, but perhaps this time around they're going back to the camera negs or something (always noticing 'cigar burns' on the Totally Tuned In selection personally but these days you can probably remove them digitally if you must). That's what I kinda notice from the Hellboy DVD set when the Gerald McBoing Boing cartoons were put on it how rather pretty clean and first-gen they are as oppose to the copy of "The Tell Tale Heart" that was also on the set that looked no different from what was out on VHS back in the 80's despite a sound appearing to be noise-reduced.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:Now I hope we'll also see a set that will include all the Mr.Magoo shorts.

According to the last Stu Show broadcast, the UPA Magoos are to be released by Shout! Factory. This is probably because Shout! also has the legal right to use the "Mr. Magoo" brand on home video products.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 am

Shout! has licensing deals with Sony and Classic Media, so that worked out for us.

What I'm interested in is; will Sony do remasters for the Magoo shorts like they're doing for the Jolly Frolics, or will they hand Shout! the off-the-shelf TTI copies.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 am

Leviathan wrote:Shout! has licensing deals with Sony and Classic Media, so that worked out for us.

What I'm interested in is; will Sony do remasters for the Magoo shorts like they're doing for the Jolly Frolics, or will they hand Shout! the off-the-shelf TTI copies.

The actual film elements have been remastered. They're not gonna be off the shelf from Totally Tooned in. Shout knows better than that.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Magpie

Postby Magpie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:54 pm

The early Magoos are cool. Amazing layout and background designs.:magoo:

thebiach

what makes you so sure??

Postby thebiach » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 pm

King Delbert wrote:The actual film elements have been remastered. They're not gonna be off the shelf from Totally Tooned in. Shout knows better than that.

Shout! tried to get the Paramount Caspers for their recent set...and were not given them...so it's really out of their hands...

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 pm

thebiach wrote:Shout! tried to get the Paramount Caspers for their recent set...and were not given them...so it's really out of their hands...

True, but Sony is hardly as much a ridiculous joke custodian of their own properties as Classic Media.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:49 am

Bradskey wrote:True, but Sony is hardly as much a ridiculous joke custodian of their own properties as Classic Media.

Classic Media makes me sad. SO I think Sony is lessier of two evils. If thats the question here. I would say that hope this will offered on Amazon.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

frizfrelengfan

Postby frizfrelengfan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 pm

This is wonderful news.

Just curious why "Ragtime Bear" is the only Magoo on the collection - Maybe because it was the first Magoo cartoon and was part of the "Jolly Frolics" series, and Classic Media does not own any rights to it?
[size=84] Time Lord Technology = Bigger on the Inside
[/SIZE]

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”