Droopy on DVD, 5/15

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Douglas E. wrote:Yeah, and The Looney Tunes Golden Collections don't have the word uncut on the package so The Golden Collections must be censored.:rolleyes:

Actually, the LT DVDs *do* say they are uncut & uncensored on the back covers. To be fair, we haven't seen Droopy's back cover yet.

magadizer

Postby magadizer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:54 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:It is on Amazon:)

Oh, I saw the word "background" and misread it to mean the back of the cover.

I couldn't even see those pictures in the background until I squinted, looking on this old monitor of mine....

Thanks,

Josh

houserunner

Postby houserunner » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:11 pm

I hope WHV released Droopy's Good Deed is uncut, If they do, this Droopy set is really almost perfect collection to me. You have all Avery Droopys, all Lah Droopys, Lundy's Caballero Droopy, it's almost perfect collection to be sure.

I think future Avery set may not include Droopy shorts. Personally, that's not a big problem to me. If we had perfect Droopy collection, then why we need same shorts for Avery collection? This Droopy set has its must-own value.

Actually, Michael Lah's Blackboard Jumble is great Droopy short. He used Avery's many innovative gags, but he used some inventive gags all his own. One Droopy Knight is another good one, and it's Oscar-nominated short. (Can you believe it - Avery's Droopy short never nominated Oscar, even Northwest Hounded Police) Dick Lundy's Caballero Droopy is also first-rate short with an hiysterically funny train crashed finale. You can get all these cartoons.

If WHV released Droopy set is uncut, I think they will be releasing Avery set with Warner Avery cartoons. (minus Droopy cartoons) If they do, that'll fine to me. Classics like Porky's Preview, Detouring America will be including Avery set instead of already released Droopy shorts, I think that's wise dicision.

I believe Avery's Warner cartoons needs more respect, and possible future Avery set will have Avery Warner disc, that's great pleasure to me.

magadizer

Postby magadizer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:00 pm

Well, Jerry Beck said on another forum that a potential Avery set would include a double dip of the Droopy cartoons.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 am

magadizer wrote:Well, Jerry Beck said on another forum that a potential Avery set would include a double dip of the Droopy cartoons.

Exactly. That's why I made my previous post.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:52 am

MF TOON wrote:How do you know the Droopy cartoons would be re-issued in an Avery set, as opposed to just the assorted MGM shorts, when a complete collection of this stuff is already available?

We're all just speculating that anything else will even be released at all in regards to the MGM stuff, but if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if it were some sort of "Tex Avery All-Star Collection" or something similarly titled and covering all the MGM stuff, leaving these out.

Unless I misunderstood what I read over on Jerry Beck's website, the decision by WHV whether or not to do a "complete Tex Avery" (MGM) set would be based on how well the Droopy set sells; and further, if they do release a "complete Tex Avery" set it WOULD include the Droopy cartoons as well.

Scaramanga

Postby Scaramanga » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:06 am

If the shorts:
1. have been digitally restored (or sourced from the best possible elements a la the first few shorts on the Tom & Jerry Spotlight collection 2)
2. are all uncut
3. are accompanied by some nice extras

... I might consider getting it. If they are cut and restored I don't see a reason to replace my French set. (which I'm still quite happy with)

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:19 pm

This will probably be the very last new animated DVD I buy.

I hate the pandering to the soccer-mom audience that's been going on.

BJ

jlppr

Postby jlppr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:21 pm

i'm very excited to hear this news. in the last week that makes a two cartoons dvd sets that i have been waiting for that are finally gonna be released

Chow Hound

Postby Chow Hound » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm

The Digital Bits has a little more info on the Droopy set here (3/14/07 post). According to that site, it's going to be unedited (but we know from experience that doesn't really mean anything until we see for ourselves). Still, I guess it's a slightly hopeful sign.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”