New Speedy licensing campaign

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Greg Method

New Speedy licensing campaign

Postby Greg Method » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:39 pm

This article was recently linked to on Mark Evanier's blog....

Click here to go to the actual linked article.

(Fast) mouse in the (skate) house
By Adam Tschorn, Times Staff Writer
April 21, 2007

After years of strip-mining the legacy of better-known Looney Tunes like Bugs, Daffy and Tweety, Warner Bros. is launching a clothing and accessories collection that features the fleet-footed rodent Speedy Gonzalez.

Last night, at a skate exhibition and party at the West L.A. shop Nine*Star, Warners introduced Speedy-emblazoned Vans footwear, washed-down, vintage-looking and Mexican-art-influenced T's printed with the image of the sombrero-wearing mouse and the words "Eat My Dust," short shorts proclaiming "Loco for Luv" and hooded sweatshirts bearing the slogan "so cute, so small, so speedy" at prices from $28 to $114. For now, Nine*Star is the only outlet for the limited-run apparel. Soon, it will also be available at Diane Merrick in Los Angeles, Rumors in La Jolla and online at www.shopintuition.com through the end of the summer.

The entire evening was a tongue-in-whiskered-cheek juxtaposition of anti-authoritarian mouse against rebellious skate rats who boarded through the store. Someone in a Speedy Gonzalez costume (complete with a huge yellow sombrero and red ascot) obligingly working the crowd, appearing on the red carpet alongside actress Kristin Cavallari and mingling with the likes of Mario Lopez and "Jackass" human prop Steve-O. On a skate ramp outside the shop, pro skateboarders Patrick Melcher, Danny Gonzalez and Steve Caballero wrapped up a 12-city "Ándale Posse" exhibition tour on which they shared billing with the "Fastest Mouse in All Mexico."

Tables were stacked with endless varieties of cheese, the drink menu included the "raging bull" (Red Bull and vodka) and servers circulated with actual skateboard decks stacked with appetizers as skate videos blared.

It's the kind of demographic cross-pollination that makes the Mirror muse that this mouse might be in a run for the money.

So, what can one make of this? Are they now trying to make Speedy the "Tweety" for the extreme-skating retro-punkish crowd?
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 am

Hey, at least they're actually acknowledging the character's existence again.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

It's good that there's new Speedy products.

:speedy:

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:28 am

Hey, if it doesn't involve Speedy being run over or mooning live-action cats, the new marketing gimmick is hunkydory with me.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Chow Hound

Postby Chow Hound » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:03 pm

I guess this explains the inclusion of an all-Speedy disc on LTGC4.

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:41 pm

He may be too modest to say so, but if it weren't for our own Matthew Hunter, I don't think any of this would be happening.

Matthew's campaign may be years in the past and related to a network (CN) that no longer has the rights to show Speedy at all—but the juggernaut of Mexican-American enthusiasm that got behind Matthew can only have been on the minds of Warner and its licensees as a direct result.
Five years ago, the studio erroneously believed this same audience actively resented the character.

I'm not a big Speedy fan. But at some point, the specific character doesn't matter—this is about getting results!
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:46 pm

David Gerstein wrote:He may be too modest to say so, but if it weren't for our own Matthew Hunter, I don't think any of this would be happening.

Matthew's campaign may be years in the past and related to a network (CN) that no longer has the rights to show Speedy at all—but the juggernaut of Mexican-American enthusiasm that got behind Matthew can only have been on the minds of Warner and its licensees as a direct result.
Five years ago, the studio erroneously believed this same audience actively resented the character.

I'm not a big Speedy fan. But at some point, the specific character doesn't matter—this is about getting results!

And I'm very greatful for Matthaw for helping bring back this somewhat underrated. I just wish some fans here would be thankful for the last collection to have a disc with mainly the best Speedy cartoons instead of just whining and saying that the disc is useless. Despite his one- note personality, Speedy is more than just those mediocre cartoons where he co-star with Daffy. And that go double to those "Drawn Together" idiotic writers.

PinkPanther252

Postby PinkPanther252 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Chow Hound wrote:I guess this explains the inclusion of an all-Speedy disc on LTGC4.

That is my favorite disc of that entire set. Speedy has always been a favorite of mine. :speedy:

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”