"Strife With Father" (1950) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Sean Gaffney

"Strife With Father" (1950) Breakdown Thread

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 am

Directed by: Robert McKimson
Story: Warren Foster
Animation: Emery Hawkins, Charles McKimson, Phil De Lara, Rod Scribner, J.C. Melendez
Layouts: Cornett Wood
Backgrounds: Richard H. Thomas
Voice Characterization: Mel Blanc
Musical direction: Carl Stalling

Series: Merrie Melodies
Release Date: April 1, 1950
Blue Ribbon re-release sometime from 1959-1964. Original opening/closing missing.
Production Number: Unknown, Blue Ribbon
MPAA Number: 13010

Synopsis: Two very English sparrows are rather startled when an egg is left on their doorstep. After hatching, it turns out to contain Beaky Buzzard, who soon grows into his big, ungainly self. A reluctant Monty takes Beaky out to the local chicken coop to show him how to be a predator, but sadly Beaky is proving a poor study - not to mention the physical abuse Monty keeps suffering. Monty finally decides to get the chickens using a grenade, which backfires when it ends up with Beaky, who keeps trying to give it back to Monty. Despite all his best efforts, Monty gets blown up in the end.

Video Availability:
The Flame And The Arrow (1950) DVD (Bonus cartoon) (WHV, 2007)
Looney Tunes Assorted Nuts laserdisc (WHV, 1992)

Music Used:
What's The Matter With Father? (Harry H. Williams/Egbert van Alstyne). 1910.
Rock-A-Bye-Baby (Effie Canning). 1886
Sobre las Olas (Over the Waves) (Juventino Rosas). Circa 1888.
The Arkansas Traveler (Sanford Faulkner). approx. 19th C.
Chicken Reel (Traditional).
English Country Garden (Traditional).
A-Hunting We Will Go (Thomas Arne). 1777.
The British Grenadiers (Traditional). circa 17th Century.
Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah (George Frederich Handel). 1741.

Trivia:
Though the title is a reference to the book/musical/movie Life With Father (the film came out in 1947 from Warner Brothers starring William Powell, and would later be a TV series), the English Sparrow couple that Beaky interacts with are parodies of real-life married couple Ronald Colman and Benita Hume. They were married in 1938 and remained together until his death in 1958. At the time this cartoon was being made, they were preparing to star in their own radio series, The Halls of Ivy, which ran from 1950-1952 and later spawned a TV series.

Monty's final 'If I Were King' before he collapses is a reference to the 1938 film of the same name, also starring Ronald Colman.

Astonishingly, even though this cartoon takes place predominately in a chicken coop and is directed by Robert McKimson, neither Foghorn Leghorn nor the Barnyard Dawg make a cameo appearance.

This was Beaky's Buzzard's 2nd and final cartoon of the year, and his final cartoon ever in the 'classic' WB period. After appearing craftier in Friz Freleng's take on him, The Lion's Busy, Beaky is back to his Mortimer Snerd-esque self here, i.e. dumb as a bag of hammers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:58 am

More screencaps:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 am

And more screencaps:

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:48 am

Wrong animators listed on Dave Mackey's site.

Wasn't this Scribner's first cartoon after 1947?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 am

This was Beaky's Buzzard's 2nd and final cartoon of the year, and his final cartoon ever in the 'classic' WB period. After appearing craftier in Friz Freleng's take on him, The Lion's Busy, Beaky is back to his Mortimer Snerd-esque self here, i.e. dumb as a bag of hammers.

Well, this cartoon is about Beaky's birth so of course he's not going to be very bright (if you want to pretend the Looney Tunes have any sort of continuity, which they don't).

I've always wondered why Blanc voiced Beaky differently in this cartoon than in The Lion's Busy. He sounded much closer to Kent Rogers than in this one.

This short does have some great lines.

"I was thinking about Beaky."
"Gwedolyn! Not while I'm eating!"

"One!"

"Beaky, what makes you so incredibly stupid?"
"Awww shucks! I get around!"
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Sean Gaffney wrote:The Flame And The Arrow (1950) DVD (Bonus cartoon) (WHV, 2007)

I didn't even realize this one was available on DVD. Good catch! Have added information about this and the other bonus cartoons on the Burt Lancaster Signature Collection onto the video guide on the TTTP.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Fixed Chicken Reel, as I have been informed that the composers I listed 'borrowed' it from a traditional folk number. Thank for the info!

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:49 am

Another big festival of cartoons!

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

[ATTACH]4695[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4696[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4697[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4698[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4699[/ATTACH]

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”