"Cross-Country Detours" (1940) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
User avatar
Glowworm
Junior Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: In a box

Postby Glowworm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

zavkram wrote:The source footage from which the "shedding lizard" was rotoscoped can be found on LTGC6 in the "Christmas Party" reels that were shot at the Schlesinger studio. The woman who took it all off was reportedly a stripper hired by Avery.

It's too bad we couldn't get the original titles restored for this one. Oh, well... maybe we'll get one later on "Blu-Ray" (you gotta sing it the way Stu Shostak always does on his show.)

Where does this fall in the chronological list of Avery's travelogues? IIRC, the earliest one was "The Island of Pingo-Pongo".

Isn't the bit with the tourist attempting to hear his echo at the Grand Canyon based off of footage of Avery himself acting it out? (The tourist even looks a bit like Avery)
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

User avatar
zavkram
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 am
Location: South Korea

Postby zavkram » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am

The Crazy HR wrote:The original titles probably don't exist; just artwork has survived.


There are a few frames of the main-title card (a screen-grab of which someone posted here in this thread, in case you hadn't noticed); which I believe were cut from a 35mm nitrate print of the cartoon. These frames and other film clips with original title-cards, from a number Avery's WB and MGM cartoons, were originally posted on Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research Page and subsequently went up for auction.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

User avatar
The Crazy HR
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am
Location: The UTC+1 zone

Postby The Crazy HR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 am

zavkram wrote:There are a few frames of the main-title card (a screen-grab of which someone posted here in this thread, in case you hadn't noticed); which I believe were cut from a 35mm nitrate print of the cartoon. These frames and other film clips with original title-cards, from a number Avery's WB and MGM cartoons, were originally posted on Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research Page and subsequently went up for auction.

This one was posted with other titles and/or artwork Jerry himself has seen, not from the Avery's frames which were bought by Sogturtle.

User avatar
zavkram
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 am
Location: South Korea

Postby zavkram » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 am

The Crazy HR wrote:This one was posted with other titles and/or artwork Jerry himself has seen, not from the Avery's frames which were bought by Sogturtle.


Ah, so he's the one who bought them! Thanks for the info, I'm glad it was someone here who'll take good care of them.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

User avatar
The Crazy HR
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am
Location: The UTC+1 zone

Postby The Crazy HR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:12 am

zavkram wrote:Ah, so he's the one who bought them! Thanks for the info, I'm glad it was someone here who'll take good care of them.

That was several years ago (and is still mentioned on Jerry's page), but since you didn't know, read this.

User avatar
Fibber Fox
Posts: 1874
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:00 am
Location: A Foxhole (in Vancouver)
Contact:

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Four ads for you

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

[ATTACH]4705[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4706[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4707[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4708[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest