HB MGM Unit question

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:16 am

I could be mistaken, but the first couple of wide-screen T&J's don't appear to have the "CinemaScope" trademark on their main-title cards.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:18 am

zavkram wrote:I could be mistaken, but the first couple of wide-screen T&J's don't appear to have the "CinemaScope" trademark on their main-title cards.

IIRC, "The Flying Sorceress" is the first T&J cartoon with the CinemaScope notation.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Eric B

Postby Eric B » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 pm

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:Yes, that does make sense. The last years at MGM seem to foreshadow the look of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the early sixties. Obviously one reason is the hiring of Ed Benedict as designer and layoutman at both companies. The influence of modern graphics ala UPA is another reason. The cartoons become more stylized: the characters were streamlined and simplified (it also helped keep costs down, too), and the backgrounds were flatter, with less rendering and bolder colors. The animation was less aggressive and exaggerated, and relied on stock walks and movements.

I think a cartoon like Busy Buddies really fits that bill. The baby reminds me of Ed Benedict's and Gene Hazelton's designs for The Flintstones.

The human adults in that period looked for the most part like the HB TV productions. The males lack only that 5-oclock shadow line ubiquitous of the HB design.

The sound effects began changing as well, though you hear this mostly in the Droopy's.

I wonder why the units only stuck with their own characters at MGM, unlike WB.

Fibber Fox

Re:

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 am

Bobby Bickert wrote:Though by the end of the run, Ken Muse was the only "familiar" name in the animator credits. I know that Ray Patterson left to form Grantray, but what happened to Irv Spence and Ed Barge?

I don't know when Barge arrived but he was a director for Earl Klein at Animation, Inc. in 1963.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

Philo & Gunge

Re: Re:

Postby Philo & Gunge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:
Bobby Bickert wrote:Though by the end of the run, Ken Muse was the only "familiar" name in the animator credits. I know that Ray Patterson left to form Grantray, but what happened to Irv Spence and Ed Barge?

I don't know when Barge arrived but he was a director for Earl Klein at Animation, Inc. in 1963.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

Wait.. we can actually post here again? Huh?! :confused:

Snafuperman!

Re: HB MGM Unit question

Postby Snafuperman! » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 am

...it would seem so! :)

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Strange that this hasn't gotten more attention, I guess this our tiny little secret. Though I'm surprised the heads of the site haven't noticed yet.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

It's good to be able to post in GAC again, I've missed it.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed May 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Leviathan wrote:It's good to be able to post in GAC again, I've missed it.

Me too, but I think we should spread the word on Facebook its back and running, but also try to get in touch with Jon Cookie, Mathew Hunter and Pietro and see what their intentions with the forum is from now on, since they have redesigned, the forum. IF they are happy with the return of GAC then I welcome it and say it was worth the wait, but I think it should be them to announce it officially though. If they want keep it as archive only then I will only want to say I thank you for five fun years between 2007 - 2011. Since I couldn't say good bye formally back in 2011 when the GAC was originally shut down.

Do-Do

Postby Do-Do » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:02 am

What the heck's goin' on here? Why am I able to post here? I thought this place was supposed to be dead! What the heck's goin' on?!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”