Where is Noel Blanc?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Speedy's_Gal

Where is Noel Blanc?

Postby Speedy's_Gal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:53 pm

I am curious about something. With the new Looney Tunes show, why did they not ask Noel Blanc to do the voices? Why hasn't he done more LT voices for various things like Space Jam or LTBIA? I read Mel's biography and he said Noel could do the voices so well he could sue him (jokingly of course). So what happened? Why isn't he filling Mel's shoes?
:speedy: The fastest mouse in all Mexico!!:speedy:

"Don't ever call me "doll'" Lola Bunny;)

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Speedy's_Gal wrote: With the new Looney Tunes show, why did they not ask Noel Blanc to do the voices?

Because he's not in the voice acting business. He's been doing other things for quite a number of years.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

Speedy's_Gal

Postby Speedy's_Gal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:12 pm

That's a real pity because he's the only one who could come close to Mel. Oh well. At least we've still got June Forray and Stan Freeburg! Living legends:daffy:
:speedy: The fastest mouse in all Mexico!!:speedy:

"Don't ever call me "doll'" Lola Bunny;)

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Speedy's_Gal wrote:That's a real pity because he's the only one who could come close to Mel.

According to somewhat-biased father, SG. I've read from others that Noel wasn't exactly as bang-on as his dad bragged but I have no personal knowledge one way or another.

And, yes, we happily have June and Mr. Freberg still with us. June's a living legend and Stan's radio and commercial work in the '50s and '60s borders on genius.

F. Fox

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 am

Fibber Fox wrote:I've read from others that Noel wasn't exactly as bang-on as his dad bragged but I have no personal knowledge one way or another.

According to Kathleen Helppie, in the "He's 50, Folks" magazine, with a LOT of coaching and practice, Noel could sound pretty close to his father. WB execs were initially dead set on having Noel voice the Looney Tunes, and were opposed to Jeff Bergman. It's either because they wanted to grant Mel's wishes, or they had their own agenda, but they didn't change their minds until Helppie presented them two voice tracks (one of Noel's, the other Bergman's), and the execs couldn't tell them apart. That's what convinced them to use Bergman.

Noel has done some voice acting over the years. He did Porky for awhile, before Bob Bergen became the permanent actor. I think he did Bugs and Elmer in that one Family Guy gag.

One thing that does kind of annoy me about Noel, is sometimes in interviews, the host will introduce him as "the man who took over his father's characters", and will act like he's been the voice of the Looney Tunes these past twentysomething years, and Noel will just nod in agreement. I figure he probably just doesn't want to be rude and make the host look like an idiot, but damn, Noel, at least say something like, "Well, others have done the voices too."
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 am

Wasn't Noel quoted, at one time, as saying that he really had no desire to fill his father's shoes? I've read Blanc's autobiography many times in the past and found that it contains many "half-truths". I remember being disappointed when it was announced on TV that WB had signed on Jeff Bergman instead of Noel Blanc; but that was because I had bought into Blanc's false account of how he had been grooming his son to take over the voices from him.

BTW, in that Family Guy episode I Noel Blanc did the voice of Elmer Fudd; but I believe it was actually Seth MacFarlane who had voiced Bugs Bunny.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

The Silver Fox

Postby The Silver Fox » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 am

Didnt' Noel do a commerical for Chevrolet when the WB edition Venture came out?

I think he did a few commericals in the early 90s as well as voice loop work on the Jetsons movie, the last project his dad worked on before his passing.
This has been a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddmen Production

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 am

The Silver Fox wrote:I think he did a few commericals in the early 90s as well as voice loop work on the Jetsons movie, the last project his dad worked on before his passing.

Nope. That was Jeff Bergman. He did a lot of George's lines, and at least one line of Spacely's.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:48 am

Brandon Panther wrote:Nope. That was Jeff Bergman. He did a lot of George's lines, and at least one line of Spacely's.

I forget, did George O'Hanlon die during production of the movie? I know he was quite ill and, by that time, also legally-blind; so that his lines had to be fed to him one at a time.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”