Hollywood Party (1934) Coming to DVD from Warner Archive

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:05 am

Duck Dodgers wrote:No lawsuit, believe the lawyer;)

Warner Archive is gonna release many DVDs of interest for me and classic comedy aficionados. Coming between 11/1 and 11/8 are "Hollywood Party", "The Lost Stooges" (a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin about the Stooges' less-known earliest efforts), "Doughboys" (1930 sound feature with Keaton), "What No Beer?" (with that short lived team of Keaton and Jimmy Durante!), "Sidewalks of New York" (again, with Keaton", "Swing Parade of 1946".
Weeks ago I suggested the people behind the Warner Archive to release this stuff and they replied telling me that it was in their intention.
Soon we should also see Wheeler and Woolsey comedies as well as "Pick a Star". They could also release "Flying Deuces" with original RKO titles but there's a speculation because they never said anything about.
In Italy a little company released months ago a perfect copy of it so it's not big trouble for me if it'll not see the light of the day.
Now I hope they'll also make soon available "The Passionate Plumber" and "Speak Easily" (the other two movies pairing Keaton with Durante).

What, No Beer? is terrible. It'll make you depressed to see Keaton suffer through it. Just giving you a heads up.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Bradskey wrote:I also have the German release already, complete with animated sequences. Been out for several years.

It seems like classic movies get better treatment overseas than they do in the US. Titles that have only been released in "burn on demand" format in the US (Example: Green Mansions) or haven't had a US DVD release period (Example: Midnight Lace) have been issued in regular DVD format in the UK and/or Europe.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”