"The Wabbit Turns 50" TV Special

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

musicradio77

"The Wabbit Turns 50" TV Special

Postby musicradio77 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:15 pm

Do you remember a TV special called "The Wabbit Turns 50"? Yep! That special was shown on WWOR-TV, channel 9 back in 1990. That was 15 years ago. The special was hosted by author & film historian Lenoard Maltin. Lenoard discusses about how Bugs Bunny got started and how he succeed. It featured clips from two earlier cartoons like "Hare-um, Scare-um" and "Elmer's Candid Camera". The special featured Bugs Bunny cartoons including the following:

1. "A Wild Hare"
2. "Wabbit Trouble"
3. "What's Cooking Doc?"
4. "Slick Hare"
5. "A Hare Grows in Brooklyn"
6. "Bugs Bunny Rides Again"
7. "Show Biz Bugs"
8. "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid"
9. "Rabbit Seasoning"
10. "The Old Grey Hare"

These are the cartoons I do remember from the special. I used to have a copy of "The Wabbit Turns 50" I taped of off channel 9, 15 years ago and I got erased.:( The Bugs Bunny special on WWOR-TV was rare. According to the special, the cartoon "The Old Grey Hare" was on channel 9 has a special ending in which the end title card was shaking. This was before a "dubbed version" was made to remove the special ending with a normal ending.

Daff Doc

Postby Daff Doc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:11 am

The shaking end title card has been seen on The Bob Clampet Show and I think I've seen it outside TBCS too.

mbaker

Postby mbaker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:54 am

Sounds interesting. We use to get WOR 9 (Now a UPN affiliate) in our old house, but we haven't recived it since we moved in the mid 80's. It's very rare for a local TV station to do documenteries like that. Even from 15 years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing it in future 'Gold Collection' sets, but i doubt that the station would go of that program. I do remember a nationally produced special for Bugs' 50th birthday that aired on CBS, but it was more of an 'all star' puff piece. It was available on home video at the time, and i wasn't impressed with it after watching maybe 10 minutes of it at a friend's house recently.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”